Begin the holiday season by spending special time at Washington on the Brazos for Christmas on the Brazos on December 10. Activities commence in the early afternoon and extend into the evening, bringing a sense of the holiday spirit alive for all:
• An Afternoon with Dickens, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. – Independence Hall: Staff dressed in period clothing will be regaling visitors with tales of Olde Time Christmas as told by the great author, Charles Dickens!
• Christmas Lore and Traditions, 4 p.m. – Independence Hall: History is not only about battles, dates and names but also touches on the special times in peoples’ lives, and Christmas is one of those very special times! With this program we discover how people embraced the holy day in the early Texas.
• The Star of the Republic Museum will host “make-and-take” period crafts from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Regular admission fees apply; no charge for the crafts. Museum open during regular hours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• The site’s Visitor Center and Washington Emporium Gift Shop will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. and will feature merchandise from Texas artisans, tastings and samplings of some local fare, family friendly activities, and self-serve photo opportunities with Santa.
• Barrington Living History Farm will be open from noon until 3 p.m. and then will reopen for its Candlelight Christmas event that starts at 5:30 p.m. and lasts until 9 p.m. (with the last tour leaving at 8 p.m.). Regular admission fees will apply.
• Candlelight Christmas, 5:30 p.m. – Barrington Farm: Program offered at timed intervals with last ticket sold at 8 p.m. Celebrate an 1850s Christmas. Meet St. Nick; fall in with some noisy, rowdy revelers; experience the Jones family lighting the Christmas tree and singing carols; attend an evening service with a traveling minister; and discover how the enslaved people celebrated Christmas. Allow at least one hour to complete the full experience. Groups will enter the site at timed intervals. Reservations are highly recommended and will be accepted starting October 1. Contact: Bruce Wardlow at 936-878-2214 ext. 246 or email@example.com.