Nearly 35% of CSISD’s population qualifies for free or reduced lunch and may not have access to items needed to arrive at school clean, warm, and ready to learn. The goal of Chrissy’s Closet is to help students and their families to feel positively about themselves, CSISD and attending school.
Beginning October 3, Chrissy’s Closet will be open each Monday from 4 to 6 p.m., except on school holidays, summer break and any other publicized special dates. It is open to any current staff member or student in CSISD.
Chrissy’s Closet is a part of the CSISD Education Foundation which is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501 (c) (3) public corporation. Tax-deductible gifts made to the foundation provide funds for opportunities above and beyond the normal operating budget of the school district which are not available through tax revenues.
Why is it called Chrissy’s Closet?
From her time as an elementary and secondary counselor, to her principalship and till now as Director for Student Services, Chrissy Hester has touched the lives of thousands of needy families over the past 30-plus years. Naming the closet after Chrissy is a great way to honor a truly amazing woman for all that she does and all that she means to CSISD and its families.
How will Chrissy’s Closet work?
- New and gently used clothing donations will be accepted during two drives during the year. The fall drive for Chrissy’s Closet will be on November 5, 2016 at College View High School from 8am-noon.
- CSISD student and parent volunteers will help sort, hang, launder and organize donations.
- Families with one or more CSISD student or any CSISD employee may visit the clothing closet once per month. Five items per student/employee per month will be allowed.
- CSISD staff members, student groups, PTO members, community members, and A&M students, will man the Clothing Closet each week.
How can you help?
- Donate new or gently used clothing during the Chrissy’s Closet Clothing Drive on November 5, 2016 at College View High School.
- Donate items to help with setting up Chrissy’s Closet. Some items that we are in need of can be found on the Amazon Wish List HERE. All gifts can be sent to: CSISD Clothing Closet, C/O Shannon Long or Kelly Kovacs, 1812 Welsh, College Station, TX 77840
- Donate additional racks to be used in Chrissy’s Closet storage. Please contact Shannon Long (email@example.com) or Kelly Kovacs (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in donating some racks. Each rack is approximately $100.
- Give online HERE. Just choose CSISD Clothing Closet from the drop down menu next to the question: Would you like to designate your gift?
- Volunteer to work in Chrissy’s Closet. Click HERE.